Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Friends, Family, and Wool

Remember the delicious wool felt I bought at Stony Brook? Well, I made these adorable mug rugs. See the tiny leaves, those were scraps that VGF Carol put in my Tabletop Thread Catcher during the PTQG meeting in early September. I just couldn't let them be thrown away. No, I had to return them to her. She now has two mug rugs for when we sew together. 
My trip to New Jersey to see my Mom went fast. We celebrated her 88th birthday early: shopping, dining out, talking, and just visiting. She was a working mom at a time when most moms did not work outside the home. So, I cherish just being able to spend time with her. She has a very dear friend, Angelo. He will be 101 years old on October 21st. Don't they look cute together? She visits him most days at the nursing home. 
I said my good-byes to Mom on Tuesday morning and headed north for a visit with my college roommate and her family. We've kept in touch for 30 years, but don't often see each other. So, this was a real treat. 
 One day to visit, and I was on the road again. 
Tomorrow was a work day.
This is Cheri of Pins & Needles wearing the hat I made for her from the book Pumpkins and Spice by Terri Degenkolb

   While I was away, they displayed it on a vintage wire hat stand next to the book. 
She hand dyes felted wool to get some totally awesome colors.
Just look at these! The first hat I made was a bright orange with brown. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately, it didn't fit my head. So, VGF Wes is now the proud owner of an orange wool hat. I did enlarge the pattern and made another one that fits. Next, a hat for Mom to match her jacket.

Til next time,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment